Cooking with Leftovers

Cooking creatively with leftovers, creating meals and snacks from nearly-empty cupboards, and having fun in the kitchen.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Pizza, improvised

It was snowing very hard one Sunday that my boyfriend was visiting when I lived in Terre Haute, IN, and we couldn't get our cars out, much less drive on the roads, but I had little to nothing in my fridge. Our options were: call the dodgy Chinese resteraunt behind me again or walk to the Dollar Store about a mile away. We'd had bad experiences with the Chinese food before, so we grabbed out coats and hats and started trudging. We ended up with some string cheese, lunch meat (ham), canned pineapple, and a packet of pizza sauce mix (spices and a thickener.) During the football games that afternoon, I made a simple dough with the last of my flour and yeast. The packet spice mix called for tomato paste and water, but I used condensed tomato soup and no water instead, because that's what I had. We assembled the pizza out of those ingredients, chopping up and sprinkling the string cheese on the pizza, tearing up the ham and putting it on with the pineapple. I happened to have a little goat cheese in the fridge, so I threw that on my half since I don't care for ham. It was wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home